AAUW California is fortunate to have many recipients of AAUW funds and grants studying here. Branches are encouraged to hold scholar speaker presentations at IBC events. Fellowship and Grant recipients can be strong motivators when members are deciding where to donate money.
If you want a Fellowship and Grant recipient as a speaker, you must work with our AAUW California Scheduler. Current fellows are heavily involved in their studies and very busy. The schedulers generally require four to six weeks of advance notice to schedule a speaker. Generally, the schedulers contact current fellows, but on occasion may call on past fellows who are often more readily available, and can also speak to the longer-term impact an award has had on their lives.
Speakers may be scheduled November through April.
Check back. Speakers have not been announced.
We suggest that you prepare a backup program should a fellow not be available on the dates you request. According to AAUW California policies and procedures, branches are limited to one visit from a current fellow every other year.
Branches should extend a hand of friendship to their speaker without imposing obligations on her. Fellows may know very little about branch-level AAUW and may be delighted to join in your branch activities if their time allows.
Guidelines for AAUW California Branches When Inviting AAUW Grant Recipients
- DO NOT CONTACT Fellowship and Grant recipients directly to be speakers. Our AAUW California Scheduler acts as the clearinghouse and expedites the process for all involved.
- An AAUW Fellowship and Grant recipient should be allowed a minimum of 20-30 minutes to speak.
- No expenses are to be incurred by the AAUW Grant Recipient:
- A minimum of $100 honorarium must be given and mileage reimbursed at the current AAUW California rate of $0.655/mile.
- Speaker’s meal paid, if applicable.
- Overnight accommodations provided, if necessary.