Applications due March 1, 2024.
Show Off Your Branch Activity and Earn an Award
Has your branch created a unique and inspiring mission-based activity in the last year? Did it dazzle your members and your community? If so, we want to hear from you.
The Branch Activity of the Year Award is a chance to put forward a signature activity that your branch presented during the period of one year ending on March 1, 2024. This is your branch’s chance to showcase and share an activity that is:
- Novel – did you do something really unique, such as a play?
- Inspirational – did people leave your event inspired to take action on something, such as visiting their legislators or launching a new branch project?
- Reproducible – can another branch realistically do a similar event? Would they need a panel of nuclear scientists?
- Reﬂective of AAUW’s mission and image – did the event promote one of AAUW’s initiatives, which range from such things as gender pay gap to leadership and career development, or other?
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)– did the event contain at least one element related to DEI?
The activity may be a one-oﬀ program or event or a sustained recurring project for which your branch is known. Last year’s winners included a branch that donated money and collected books that featured protagonists of color for local elementary schools, a program that ran a local leadership group for Latino high school students, and a long-term book group centered around “The 1619 Project” featuring Dr. Greg Freeland (a university professor) leading monthly discussions around race and the history of slavery. See descriptions of the twenty eight events submitted for the award here.
What are the awards?
There will be three awards. Winning branches will be honored with a small prize and recognition at the 2024 AAUW California Annual Event, as well as on the state website, in social media, the California Connection, and other AAUW communications.
How to apply:
We’ve streamlined the application process so that it’s easy to share your innovation and inspire other branches to follow in your footsteps.
Apply by: March 1, 2024: You can submit an application as soon as the activity has concluded.
Winners will be contacted by March 15, 2024.
Winners will be expected to provide a 5-10 minute presentation at the Annual Event on April 27, 2024. There will be a practice session with the Branch Activity of the Year Awards Committee approximately 1-2 weeks before the event, and a mandatory practice for Annual Event presenters approximately 1 week prior to the event. Assistance with your presentation will be available upon request.