Click HERE for a list of the current priority bills and the status of those bills!
In 2021, AAUW California will focus on childcare, which meets the goals of all of our three pillars.
Without affordable childcare for families, women are often the ones to leave their jobs or forgo education to care for their children. This has been the case for tens of thousands of women during the Covid pandemic, jeopardizing their financial security and ability to get higher paying jobs.
We are supporting a package of legislation that will improve access to quality early childhood education for low-income children and especially children of color, make family fees affordable, and improve the quality of childcare for children aged 0 – 3.
- AB 92 — Waives family fees thru 10/22, then restructures rates for family fees (we are co-sponsors of this bill)
- AB 22 — Transitional Kindergarten for four-year olds
- SB 70 — Mandatory Kindergarten
- SB 246 — Restructuring childcare rate reimbursement to improve the quality of childcare
- AB 1361 — Expulsion of children from childcare
These bills help women achieve economic security, improve the quality of childcare and early learning in preparation for education, and helps eliminate bias in how children of color are treated in childcare.