Suggested Interview Questions from National:
- Why do you think your teacher nominated you for a STEM camp?
- Do you think you would like to have a job someday that has to do with science, technology, engineering or math? If so, what would that be?
- When you are confronted with a new challenge at school do you tend to back away from it or do you jump right in?
- Do you help other kids in your class or school with their homework?
- How do you feel about staying on a college campus for a week? Have you ever been to a college campus? If so, what did you think about the campus?
- Have you attended any other summer camps? If so, tell me about experiences at other camps you’ve attended. What did you like or not like?
- Will you be attending any other camps this summer? (If student does not know, ask parent/guardian)
- Have you ever been away from your family for a week or more? How do you feel about spending a week away from home with other kids you don’t know?
- You will not be able to use your cell phone while at camp unless there is an emergency. Will this be a problem for you?
Additional Questions Provided by California Branches:
At this point interviewer should ask the student if she has any questions about the camp.
How did you learn about Tech Trek Science Camp?
Have you visited the Tech Trek website? What did you learn there?
What subjects do you like in school? What are you learning now in science and math?
Has anyone in your family ever attended college? If so, who? Do you think you will attend college?
What does your family do for fun?
Tell us about your family. Do you have brothers and sisters? Where were you born and where have you lived?
Please tell us about other activities that you participate in (sports, community, church). Have you received any honors?
Ask about their essay.
Why should we choose you?
Why do you want to go to camp?
You will have a roommate in the dorm. What do you think your roommate will be like? How can you make her more comfortable?
Do you like to study and do projects with a group? If so, what do you like about it?
What type of books do you usually read and why?
Tell us about any vacations or trips you have taken with your family?
What do you like to do in your free time?