As you know, branches are required to make mandatory amendments to their bylaws to comply with recent changes in DC corporate law. New model branch bylaws are posted on our website (click HERE) in the Forms & Documents section, under Governance.
When you are revising your bylaws, you need to know:
- In general: Much of the language in the articles has not changed. Just make sure your language conforms to the model.
- Article III - Use of Name -This article must be used in its entirety. Strike your Article III and substitute this mandated Article III.
- Article IV - Section 1. Basis of Membership
- Individual member (1) Eligibility: this is a mandatory substitution for the one your bylaws probably contains, which includes reference to IFUW.
- Categories of membership (1): change member-at-large to national member
- Categories of membership (2): this language defining a branch member must be used.
- Article VI - Officers: You must specify both the elected and appointed officers. Don't include language such as “and others as needed".
- Article XII -. Property: Use mandated language for sections 1 and 2.
- Article XVI - Organization: A new article. Use mandated language for sections 1 and 2. Renumber old article XVI to XVII.
The deadline for making the changes to your bylaws is May 15, 2012. Members of the bylaws committee are available to help you. The committee member who is assigned to your branch will contact you shortly. If you want to know who your representative is or have questions now, send an email message to email@example.com.
The procedure for submitting your revised bylaws is:
- Review the suggested amendments and revise your branch/IBC bylaws accordingly. If the only changes are mandatory, the revised bylaws do not require approval by the branch/IBC board.
- Email amended draft bylaws to your representative on the bylaws committee
- Your representative will email the amended bylaws back to you with a certification form verifying that they are approved.
- Forward an electronic copy of your updated bylaws and certification to AAUW at firstname.lastname@example.org. and to AAUW CA at email@example.com
- Keep a copy for your branch/IBC files
Archives By Subject
Convention Snapshots -- the convention daily newsletter
Florine Swanson said: Shelley - you are incredible. Every organization should be so lucky to have someone like you. [More]
Sherry Ludwig Follows Holly Kearl's "Crossing the Line" Presentations
Cathy Foxhoven said: Thank you for this very informative report on Crossing the Line. It was also extremely helpful to l... [More]