Describe any previous Branch positions and years you served.
2008-2012 Served as Convener, our alternative board design title for person who ran board meetings and filled the admin connection role to National
2013-2017 Communications – distribution lists, event flyers, website, Meetup
Describe any AAUW California positions and years you served.
- 2012 – Program Committee
- 2014 – Co-Chair Program Committee
- 2016-2018 – Director, Branch Support Chair
- 2016 – Convention Manager
Talk about any AAUW California conventions you attended in the last five years.
- 2012 – Was impressed & energized by dinner speaker Jennifer Siebel Newsome, looked for, found & shared ideas with others having board issues
- 2014 – Various Program Co-Chair duties, workshop presenter (Mining the Value in the Value Promise), facilitated lunch speaker discussion with Invisible War Director and plaintiff. Connected/shared ideas with people having board issues.
- 2016 – Convention Manager, gained new perspective and learned more about the inner-workings of AAUW CA
Talk about any pertinent community activities or connections and their corresponding dates.
- 2007-2017 – Agile Open California Conference, organizing committee = diverse committee, recruits diverse group interns and volunteers; allows free access to new thinking in tech world.
- 2008-2010 – Women on Writing Conference, organizing committee/ ambassador = Run by female teachers at Skyline college, prominent women authors as speakers and session hosts, minor cost to students, includes Poetry Slam.
- 2006-2011 – Computer Technologies Program, Berkeley, CA (Board of Directors) = Trains people with disabilities in various tech areas, works with local businesses and CA Dept. of Rehabilitation foe job placement.
- 2005-2007 – Steering Committee, Association of Professionals with Disabilities = To provide a safe place to discuss work situations; OT, legal, HR and other relevant speakers.
- 1980-2011 – Association of Rehabilitation Programs in Computing Technology = National group of programs like the Computer Technology Program above. Main benefit is knowledge/tool/resource sharing across programs.
Talk about any AAUW National conventions you have attended.
2015 San Diego – My first National Convention and had my hopes set too high. Some of the workshops that had to do with recruiting or marketing seemed out of touch with my various CA branch experiences. The two workshops I found most relevant were Title IX and An Easier Way to Tackle Tough Governance Challenges. Both very informative and had usable information.I thought the Programs That Work Roundtables was an interesting idea but was planned in such a way that the ability to learn was greatly reduced. Liked the SHOPAAUW Table.
Describe any AAUW National positions and years you served.
Describe your employment/professional experience, including current employment.
Currently: Principal, Acorn Consulting Enterprises Pacifica, CA
Adjunct Professor, Golden Gate University Ageno School of Business.
Awarded 2017 Distinguished Adjunct Professor, Operations & Management
Awarded 2013 Outstanding Adjunct Professor, Project Management.
Adjunct Instructor, UC Berkeley Extension Agile Management Program
Author, with Diana Larsen, Liftoff: Start and Sustain Successful Agile Teams (2016) Second Ed.
Hewlett Packard Company, Palo Alto CA; Program/Project Manager, Business Process Consultant, Programmer/Analyst
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., San Francisco, CA; Programmer/Analyst
Levi Strauss & Co., San Francisco, CA; Programmer/Analyst
Are you available to visit branches statewide?
Describe any other special skills or experience.
Interpersonal: Facilitation, coaching/mentoring, training, enabling collaboration
Special areas of expertise: organizational and team/project chartering, retrospectives, Open Space and World Café facilitation, learning environments
Counseling/mentoring women with disabilities
Give your reasons for running for this office.
My belief in and support of the AAUW Mission and Values led me to become a member of AAUW and take on a number of different roles locally at at the CA level. I’ve seen that there’s more to be done in advancing the work of AAUW at the state level and I’d like to part of doing it.
75-word Goal Statement
My goal is to invest my skills and experience effectively to help AAUW CA deliver on the AAUW Value Promise.